My name is Lisa Graham and I make the music in your life a little more special.
Growing up, I didn’t have access to formal music education, especially for flute. Most of my early learning was self-taught. When I came to Calgary for university, I auditioned for an ensemble. I was devastated when I wasn’t accepted. However, I knew I needed to keep playing. An online search uncovered a local flute teacher. She responded to my inquiry, and I spent a few years studying with her. It completely changed my life.
Today, I am privileged to share music at weddings, concerts, charity events, and more. One of my most exciting musical adventures was a trip to Portugal in 2012. Along with three other musicians, I visited schools in Porto. In our presentation, we featured famous people who practiced both science and music. The program included scientific nuggets interspersed with musical excerpts. I also had the opportunity to perform in two public concerts and as a guest at a third. Since returning, I have guest lectured on science and music at the University of Calgary.
The arts and sciences are both extremely important parts of one’s education. Music integrates both so well and I love sharing both aspects with my students. Playing an instrument is a physical and mental exercise. I love helping students develop musicianship through student-centric learning activities. From day one, I encourage independent learning. Students self-evaluate while exploring their interests. I provide guidance to advance their skills. I also teach strategies to enable effective at-home practice. Music can also be a team sport and I encourage collaborations where possible.
In performance, I love sharing the unexpected. In my travels, I have come across many wonderful pieces some from obscure local composers. It’s my pleasure to curate and share these with listeners in a concert hall or more informal setting. The joy of discovery goes even further when preparing for a special event. I enjoy the challenge of coming up with the perfect musical program. With my 3 step system, it’s easy to integrate live music to weddings, charity events, and more.
Interested in what’s happening next?
Join the mailing list for the latest updates and projects.
Past community theater productions:
- West Side Story [Bernstein, Sondheim, and Laurents] (University of Calgary Musical Theatre) January 2015
- The Music Man [Willson and Lacey] (UCalgary Operetta) January 2014
- The Gondoliers [Gilbert and Sullivan] (Morpheus Theatre) April/May 2013
- Children of Eden [Schwartz and Caird] (UCalgary Operetta) January 2013
- Guys and Dolls [Loesser, Swerling, and Burrows] (UCalgary Operetta) January 2012
- The Sorcerer [Gilbert and Sullivan] (Morpheus Theatre) March/April 2011
- Titanic: The Musical [Yeston and Stone] (UCalgary Operetta) January 2011
- Flute Club of Calgary Jazz Flute Big Band – 2017/18
- Mount Royal Chamber Flutes – September 2012 to present
- Pacific Coast Flute Orchestra – August 2016 (2016 National Flute Association Convention)
- Parthenia Flutes – Spring 2013
- The Shillelaghs – January 2015 to present
Check out photos, videos, and audio clips here!
If you’re a traveller and interested in hearing a bit about my adventures in Portugal, check out this article on Pink Pangea! There’s also an article on my experiences at the 2016 National Flute Association convention.